Irony

The 5th dimension

Irony

Postby mcnasty » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:58 pm

McDonalds offers so much in terms of convenience, they do their best to make us have to work less for their product. Yet it is their products and many products like theirs that are causing what some are calling an obesity epidemic. America is now the world's most overweight country. The irony I find in this is illustrated almost perfectly in a song by the artist LazyBoy called underwear goes inside the pants.

Nobody knows why were getting fatter? Look at our lifestyle.
I'll sit at a drive thru.
I'll sit there behind fifteen other cars instead of getting up to make the eight foot walk to the totally empty counter.
Everything is mega meal, super sized. Want biggie fries, super sized, want to go large.
You want to have thirty burgers for a nickel you fat mother f*%#@r. There's room in the back. Take it!
Want a 55 gallon drum of Coke with that? It's only three more cents.

This captures the essence of what I see as one of the biggest problems with McDonalization. They make it to convenient. People would rather wait in line for upwards of ten minutes instead of walking to the counter. The Irony here is two-fold. On one hand, the drive through which is intended to save us time often takes longer than it would to go in and order at the counter, and on the other, the food that people wait in line to ingest is filled with grease and fats yet people refuse to get out of their cars to walk and get their food. They insist on sitting and having it handed to them. I realize the calories burned in that walk will not even begin to account for the calories ingested in one burger but it is the concept of laziness that the convenience they offer promotes that I find so troubling.
mcnasty

Return to Irrationality